Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back to the beat...

Vacation was great. Accomplished everything I had wanted to do; spent time with the family, saw international soccer action, ate good food, visited new places.

Now, it's back to work. I feel rejuvenated and ready to finish out the last 3 months.

I did a small photo release on some mechanics the other day and it got me back in the groove, somewhat. It was a good reminder for me of how dedicated, disciplined and knowledgeable Soldiers are. They show consistent professionalism and take pride in serving their country.

Being around Soldiers anytime is special, but being around them when they are working in their area of expertise is a privilege.

I plan on doing a lot more stories on vehicle mechanics because they are busy and have a variety of work to do that is interesting. I'm hoping to develop stories towards a Mechanic's Corner type of news, where the reader can learn basics and advanced technology practices.

Because the pace of things has slowed considerably, getting interesting stories on Soldiers is becoming more difficult. This is a good thing because it means the war is wrapping up, but it is tough for a reporter when there are a lack of good story lines to chase.

Staying busy makes time go by faster, so maybe in the past, the story didn't seem so good to tackle, now it is.

No comments: